1. Become familiar with the concept and historical (as well as current) implementations of automated transit networks (ATNs), which are also known as podcars or personal rapid transit (PRT). Suggested resources for this are:
- Automated Transit Networks (ATN): A Review of the State of the Industry and Prospects for the Future. pp. 5-13 and 225-229.
- If you are interested to go deeper into the concepts and/or history of ATN, see:
2. Become familiar with what has been done on the Spartan Superway project. Suggested resources include reports by all Spartan Superway teams:
- 2012-2013: Kipping Burlingame Kibrick Lam et al, Superway-A Solar Powered Automated Transportation System.San Jose State University.pdf
- 2013-2014: Cowley, Rivera et al Spartan Superway.SJSU ENGR195D
- 2014-2015: Ornellas et al. Spartan Superway 2014-2015 Final Report.SJSU ME195.pdf
- 2015 Summer
- 2015-2016 Spartan Superway First Semester Report
- 2015-2016 Spartan Superway Final Report
- Spartan Superway Blog (includes latest team reports)
- Spartan Superway Website
- Innovating Automated Transit with Students
3. Become familiar with work that others have done recently. A few suggested resources are:
4. There are also some important land use issues.
- Automated Vehicles and Policy (one-third of the surface area in Los Angeles is devoted to parking lots)